The free programme that gives you the digital skills you need
“I come from a council estate. I didn’t go to university. Getting a start in digital made a massive difference to my life. If I did it, so can you. Join Click Start today. What have you got to lose?”
All you need is an open mind. You don’t need experience. You don’t need to have been to university. All you need is curiosity and be ready to learn new things. Maybe you want a new direction? Maybe you want to upskill? Maybe you want a raise or promotion in your current role? Click Start gives you the head start you need.
Click Start is designed to support under-represented groups. The aim is to give you the digital skills you need to open up new opportunities. Or get better pay. Or simply do what you want to do in life.
For a FREE place you must be aged 16-30 and also meet at least ONE of the following criteria:
- I identify as a woman or as non-binary.
- My parents did not go to university.
- I have a disability or debilitating health condition.
- My family or household income is less than £25,000.
- I have caring responsibilities.
- I or another member of my household claims benefits or tax credits.
- I attended/attend a state school achieving below the national average at GCSE (Attainment of 8 or less).
- I live in an area with low levels of progression on to Higher Education (i.e. no more than 20% of my classmates went to University).
- I receive a 16-19 Bursary Fund with an income threshold of £25,000 or below.
If you don’t qualify for a free place you can still take part. Payment options are available for those who don’t meet requirements. Click here to see if you qualify for a free place today.
You can start these Click Start course any time you like! Click Start, delivered in partnership with the University of Leeds, is delivered online via the Coursera platform. It is available on a rolling, ongoing basis. Once you start, you have 3 months to do as many courses as you choose.
The Click Start programme is made up of 30+ courses. There are course options for digital skills, as well as personal and professional development, designed to help you apply for, and get, new opportunities. Each course involves 6-8 hours of learning. But you can complete any courses at you own pace. So you might do the course in less time. All modules are self-guided.
You’ll also have access to a number of career development courses provided by Coursera.
If you meet the eligibility criteria, then it’s completely free. And no, there’s no catch. This programme has been developed in partnership with the Institute of Coding (IoC) and has been funded by Nominet to help reduce the UK’s digital skills gap.
If you don’t meet the eligibility criteria, then you’re still welcome to complete the courses as a paid user.
This course is part of Click Start, the new nationwide training programme developed by the Institute of Coding (IoC), a national consortium of industry, educators and outreach providers
Click Start is funded by Nominet, the public benefit company that operates and protects UK Internet infrastructure and uses its funds to support projects that promote digital inclusion.
The new programme will be rolled out through 2023 and helps to tackle the UK’s digital skills gap. This will be done by offering skills and training to more than 26,500 learners across the country, who may not have previously had opportunities.
1. UK Gov DCMS Report, “No longer optional” 2019 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/807830/No_Longer_Optional_Employer_Demand_for_Digital_Skills.pdf
3. UK Gov DCMS Report, “No longer optional” 2019 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/807830/No_Longer_Optional_Employer_Demand_for_Digital_Skills.pdf