/Skills Bootcamp in Software Engineering/Development - October 2021
Provided by: Aston University
Course Area: West Midlands, All areas
Course Type: Short Course
Start date: 11/10/2021
End date: 21/01/2022
Course length: 12 weeks
Subjects: Software Engineering
Who is this Skills Bootcamp for
This Skills Bootcamp is for people seeking to learn to programme as a route into a career in the tech industry. The course is available to adults who have the right to live and work in the UK. If you’re looking for a new role, new opportunities or increased responsibility/promotion to a different role that utilises the skills acquired through this Skills Bootcamp then look no further.
The course is online and part-time and we’re welcoming motivated learners who want to take advantage of learning valuable skills at the Guardian’s University of the Year 2020.
- Be aged 19+
- Have the right to live and work in the UK
- Agree to provide mandatory personal data and supplementary information on their employment outcomes for up to 8 months following completion of the Skills Bootcamp
- Be looking for a new role, new opportunities or increased responsibility/promotion to a different role which utilises the skills acquired through their Skills Bootcamp
- employed/self-employed, or
- career changers/returners/redeployed, or
- unemployed within the last 12 months
Employers will be able to send existing employees who meet the Skills Bootcamp eligibility requirements on this training at an impressive 70% discount. Interested employers should contact the individual Skills Bootcamp provider.
Previous experience isn’t a barrier to accessing this course. We view motivation as the primary requirement and will give you a short task on application so that you’re able to demonstrate this.
What will I learn
You will learn:
- Key elements of the Java language and their use in practical programming, Object-oriented software concepts
- Development techniques and tools,
- Introduction to software engineering in the small: requirements, design, coding, testing, documentation, maintenance,
- Use of a computing environment: IDE, host operating environment, online resources, version control
- Implementation and maintenance of database systems
This will give you the foundations to work as a junior programmer, software analyst, or tester to name but a few rewarding roles.Visit this course
Creating pathways to employment
How has the Skills Bootcamp been designed/created with employer input?
This Skills Bootcamp has been adapted from an existing short course that we have delivered as part of our level 6 Digital and Technologies Service programme. This was originally co-designed by employers who enrol apprentices on that programme. It undergoes rigorous annual review and updating based on feedback from apprentices and their employers.
How are employers involved in the delivery of this Skills Bootcamp?
This Skills Bootcamp will involve employers as mentors and clients. Employers will provide a job interview to students at the end of the course.
What are the routes to employment following successful completion?
This Skills Bootcamp teaches generic, easily transferable skills that can be deployed in a range of roles and settings within the tech industry. We’ll be working with you to secure a role on completion of the course.