/Skills Bootcamp in Data Analysis: DataSkills by The Open University
Provided by: Open University
Course Area: All areas
Course Type: Short Course
Start date: 18/10/2021
End date: 25/02/2022
Subjects: Data analytics
Who is this course for
Data analysis is one of the fastest growing areas in the digital jobs market today. DataSkills by The Open University has been designed to enable you to develop your data analysis skills and fast track into an entry level digital job.
A minimal technical background is needed for you to be considered for this programme, but it will be important for you to have a strong curiosity about how to use digital technologies and data to investigate and solve problems. A basic level of understanding of computer technology, cloud computing and the internet is assumed. It will also be helpful if you have knowledge of fundamental programming principles.
You’ll need a love of technology, an ability to analyse and communicate well, plus a strong motivation to learn and succeed. Learners must:
- Be resident in England or a resident of Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland and moving into a digital job with an employer based in England
- Able to commit to 16 weeks of flexible part time study, starting on 11th October. On average you’ll need to set aside 8-10 hours per week for study but at certain points in the programme, more study time may be required.
- Have achieved a grade C or above in GCSE Mathematics (or equivalent)
- Have regular access to a desktop or laptop computer with an internet connection
- Be aged 19+
- Have the right to live and work in the UK
- Agree to provide mandatory personal data and supplementary information on their employment outcomes for up to 8 months following completion of the Skills Bootcamp
- Be looking for a new role, new opportunities or increased responsibility/promotion to a different role which utilises the skills acquired through their Skills Bootcamp
- employed/self-employed, or
- career changers/returners/redeployed, or
- unemployed within the last 12 months
Employers will be able to send existing employees who meet the Skills Bootcamp eligibility requirements on this training at an impressive 70% discount. Interested employers should contact the individual Skills Bootcamp provider.
What will I learn
The DataSkills by The Open University programme begins with foundational data concepts before moving on, in a structured way, to develop the higher-level data analysis skills employers look for when hiring for entry-level job roles.
You’ll work towards the internationally recognised Microsoft Azure Data Fundamentals (DP-900) and Microsoft Data Associate (DA-100) certifications, which will give employers a clear understanding of the skills you’ve developed.
You will learn about:
- Core data concepts
- Cloud data services
- Relational and non-relational data
- Modern data warehouse analytics
- Preparing, modelling, visualising and analysing data
- Deploying and maintaining deliverables
During your practical work, you will use Microsoft Power BI which is a common platform used by data analysts to visualise and maximise the value from their data assets.
Visit this course
Creating pathways to employment
How has the Skills Bootcamp been designed/created with employer input?
As part of the design process, The Open University engaged extensively with Microsoft, and through them their partner network. Based on this, it is evident that there is high demand for the skills associated with their Azure Data Fundamentals and Data Associate certifications which are at the heart of the DataSkills by The Open University programme. All of the Microsoft partners interviewed for the Economic Recovery: Creating a blueprint for Microsoft partners to enhance competitiveness (Feb 2021) research are currently hiring and 71% are planning to hire in the next 6-12 months; 32% for data analysis roles.
Using LinkedIn’s Economic Graph, Microsoft has identified the data analyst job role as one of the top 10 in-demand jobs in the economy and well positioned to continue to grow in the future.
How are employers involved in the delivery of this Skills Bootcamp?
Employers will provide input into the selection process, plus support the delivery of the careers related aspects so that participants can gain real world insights into what it’s like to work in the tech sector and specifically in a data analysis role. Industry professionals will also assist participants with interview preparation.
What are the routes to employment following successful completion?
Typical job roles you could access at an entry-level on completion of the programme include:
- Data Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Business Systems Analyst
- Marketing Analyst
- Logistics Analyst
Further, the programme offers an on-ramp to the Data Analyst Apprenticeship (L4) or the Digital and Technology Solutions Professional Degree Apprenticeship (L6).