/Skills Bootcamp in Cyber Security (Closed)
Provided by: UWE
Course Area: South West
Course Type: Short Course
Start date: 08/11/2021
End date: 17/03/2022
Subjects: Cyber security
Delivery Method: Blended
Skills Bootcamp overview
The Cyber Security sector is growing, and demand for Cyber Security specialists is growing exponentially across all sectors of the economy including public and private enterprises, both large and small, and critical national infrastructure, such as energy, transport, water and finance.
We need skilled, confident cyber security professionals who understand the technology, and the challenges, so they’re able to secure and protect our digital society.
This 16 week programme will train you in the identification and mitigation of security threats and help you to develop the basic technical knowledge and software development skills necessary to ensure that organisations can keep their business and customers safe.
An important element of Bootcamp delivery will be practice-based learning. We will embed personal and professional learning and development into our core delivery to ensure that you develop the personal and interpersonal skills required to operate successfully as a cyber security professional.
Who is this course for
The Skills Bootcamps are open to all applicants provided they are aged 19 or over, are recently unemployed, self-employed, looking to move into a new job role, or coming out of furlough and seeking a pathway to a digital career.
Learners will engage with 16 weeks of flexible delivery, blending real-time interaction (in person and/or face-to-face via online technology) with interactive online resources. Real-time content delivery will typically be recorded and made available for later review and flexible support will be available outside of formally timetabled sessions.
- Be aged 19+
- Have the right to live and work in the UK
- Agree to provide mandatory personal data and supplementary information on their employment outcomes for up to 8 months following completion of the Skills Bootcamp
- Be looking for a new role, new opportunities or increased responsibility/promotion to a different role which utilises the skills acquired through their Skills Bootcamp
- employed/self-employed, or
- career changers/returners/redeployed, or
- unemployed within the last 12 months
Employers will be able to send existing employees who meet the Skills Bootcamp eligibility requirements on this training at an impressive 70% discount. Interested employers should contact the individual Skills Bootcamp provider.
What will I learn
The Bootcamp is structured as follows:
Weeks 1-2: Induction / Basic Tools and Prof Skills
- introduction to information systems and digital technology, key technologies for on-line learning, communicating, collaborating and presenting
- understanding requirements, setting objectives, planning and time-management, professional behaviour and professional ethics
- working with others, team dynamics, roles, behaviours and personalities
Weeks 3-6: Computational Thinking & Practice
- abstract and algorithmic thinking, formulating problems, organizing and analysing data, models and simulations, generalizing problems and finding efficient and effective solutions
- designing and implementing software: requirements elicitation, design techniques, programming language constructs and data types, testing
Weeks 7-12: Cyber Security Specialism
- introduction to cyber security: cyber security in the context of systems, information and technology, systems virtualisation, basics of system penetration testing
- Web applications and related topics: web fundamentals, web application vulnerabilities, networking fundamentals, common vulnerabilities and exposures, hashing and authentication, public key encryption
- advanced application and industrial control system vulnerabilities
Weeks 13-16: Preparation for Employment
- practical career advice, psychometric and personality tests, choosing the right role/career pathway, CV and cover letter writing, networking, job hunting, attending interviews and interview skills
On completing the bootcamp, learners will have the basic skills needed to move into the area of cyber security and the skillset and the confidence to explore the area further. Technical skills in cyber security will enable new career opportunities and provide a platform for the improvement of business operations. Personal and interpersonal skills will enable learners to quickly establish themselves as a valuable, work-ready asset with employers.Visit this course
Creating pathways to employment
How are employers involved in the delivery of this Skills Bootcamp?
UWE is an NCSC Academic Centre of Excellence in Cyber Security Education (ACE-CSE) and we expect to involve a number of our very extensive network of industrial contacts (e.g. National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), GCHQ, MOD, Avon and Somerset Police, Hub8, Techmodal, BAE Systems, Synalogik, Montvieux, Leonardo, Toshiba Research, South Gloucestershire Council, West of England Combined Authority) to support this initiative.
Employers will be involved throughout the process, reviewing and confirming the content, providing industry insights, advice on professionalism and employability and preparation for interviews during the final four-week block.
What are the routes to employment following successful completion?
The Cyber Security sector is growing, and demand for Cyber Security specialists will grow exponentially. UWE aims to place learners, through existing partnerships, with the NCSC, the Cyber Central project, and Hub8 Cyber Innovation Centre, and existing partners e.g. MOD, Leonardo and SMEs, across the West of England.
Participants will be supported to attend interviews and provided with follow up signposting to further training and employment opportunities through local UWE and IoC national resources.