/Skills Bootcamp in Cyber Security Operations - August 2022
Provided by: Birmingham City University
Course Area: West Midlands
Course Type: Short Course
Start date: 22/08/2022
End date: 12/12/2022
Course length: 16
Subjects: Cyber security, DevOps
Who is this course for
We specialise in upskilling learners from a range of backgrounds at BCU (Birmingham City University). This course is aimed at those who do not have a strong background in computing, but who are not afraid of learning new technical skills. Most importantly we want you to be excited about working in cyber security and eager to join this growing field. If you have a computing background then you’re welcome, we will be pushing you in diverse ways.
Essential learner requirements:
- GCSE English language and mathematics at grade C/4 or above/li>
- Equivalent level 2 or above qualifications can be accepted.
- Must have been achieved at the point of enrolment.
- Be aged 19+
- Have the right to live and work in the UK
- Agree to provide mandatory personal data and supplementary information on their employment outcomes for up to 8 months following completion of the Skills Bootcamp
- Be looking for a new role, new opportunities or increased responsibility/promotion to a different role which utilises the skills acquired through their Skills Bootcamp
- employed/self-employed, or
- career changers/returners/redeployed, or
- unemployed within the last 12 months
Employers will be able to send existing employees who meet the Skills Bootcamp eligibility requirements on this training at an impressive 70% discount. Interested employers should contact the individual Skills Bootcamp provider.
What will I learn
There are a range of cyber security skills that will be covered over the 16 week course these include:
- Understanding Security Layers
- Understanding Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting
- Understanding Security Policies
- Understanding Network Security
- Protecting the Server and Client
- Detecting various types of compromise and have an understanding of penetration testing and vulnerability scanning
- Installing, configuring, and deploying network components while assessing and Troubleshooting issues to support organisational security
- Implementing secure network architecture concepts and systems design
- Installing and configuring identity and access services, as well as management controls
- Implementing and summarising risk management best practices and the business impact
- Installing and configuring wireless security settings and implement public key infrastructure
Visit this course
Creating pathways to employment
How has the Skills Bootcamp been designed/created with employer input?
The course team are arranging meetings with employers and content providers, including Microsoft as the primary partner, to undergo a curriculum co-design process and to map core skills requirements. The employers will also feature in the employability aspects of the course to support mock-interviews and case studies.
How are employers involved in the delivery of this Skills Bootcamp?
Employer partners shape the teaching framework whilst also actively involved in providing industry talks and challenges over the planned teaching.
Employer involvement in course delivery will incorporate aspects of both technical support and employability skills. The technical aspects will be taught involving both cybersecurity project briefs; where learners will benefit from the experiences of professionals; and cyber challenges; where learners will work in teams and be provided an industrial-themed challenge to work on over a week with the view to present their findings and or solutions back to the employers.
The learners will also benefit from industrial partners through engaging in mock interviews, CV, and professional development advice; identifying digital badging opportunities to create a foundation for a successful cyber security career; and through career planning exercises.
What are the routes to employment following successful completion?
The learners will leave the Skills Bootcamp with a core understanding of cyber security and cloud principles and the skills required for cyber security project which adds value to an organisation. These skills will put learners in a strong position for employment with the benefit of having a rounded skills profile to demonstrate at interview. Learners will have access to the BCU employability network and partner organisations for job applications; where the employability and careers teams will ensure the learners are CV- and interview-ready.