/Skills Bootcamp in Creative Computing: UI/UX Design - April 2022
Provided by: Bath Spa University
Course Area: South West
Course Type: Short Course
Start date: 25/04/2022
End date: 15/07/2022
Course length: 12 weeks
Subjects: Games technology, User experience design, User interface design, Web development
Who is this course for
This Skills Bootcamp is for adults impacted by the pandemic who are seeking to upskill and reskill, leading to a career in digital technologies. The specific focus of this course is creative computing which is highly relevant in the South West’s creative economy.
This course is open to anyone living in the South West region (Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Bristol, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Dorset).
All applicants should have aspirations for a career in the creative industries using digital technology. You may be interested in web design, UX/UI design, agile project management and/or app development.
While some previous knowledge is desirable, the most important factor is a positive mindset, desire and commitment, as without this it will be difficult to sustain the intensity required for successful completion.
- Be aged 19+
- Have the right to live and work in the UK
- Agree to provide mandatory personal data and supplementary information on their employment outcomes for up to eight months following completion of the Skills Bootcamp
- Be looking for a new role, new opportunities or increased responsibility/promotion to a different role that utilises the skills acquired through their Skills Bootcamp
- Live in the South West region (includes Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Bristol, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Dorset)
- Employed/self-employed, or
- Career changers/returners/redeployed, or
- Unemployed within the last 12 months
Employers will be able to send existing employees who meet the Skills Bootcamp eligibility requirements on this training at an impressive 70% discount. Interested employers should contact the individual Skills Bootcamp provider.
What will I learn
- Introduction to design thinking
- Agile project management techniques, including taking part in a sprint and a scrum
- Ideation and creative problem solving
- Digital identity and storytelling
- Coding tools for web development and app development
- User experience (UX) design
- How to use prototyping tools
- Personal and professional skills, including presentations and pitching
- Employment support including techniques for job applications and mock interviews
You’ll be taught by highly experienced lecturers and also benefit from guest speakers, group exercises and a blended delivery model to ensure that you can fit the course around your other commitments. You’ll work on group and individual projects, creating a portfolio to showcase your skills gained in the 12 weeks.
Upon completion of this Skills Bootcamp participants will be able to:
- Apply computing to creativity in spheres such as arts, entertainment and games, mobile applications, multimedia, web design and other interactive systems
- Demonstrate experience of project work and application of creative computing to solving creative industry challenges or requirements
- Understand practices of digital identity and storytelling with use of images, motion, sounds
- Apply concepts to web and app experience design
- Succeed with job applications – getting an interview and recognising different interview styles
- Demonstrate an improvement in personal or soft skills through individual and group exercise work
- Achieve an employment outcome in creative computing
Creating pathways to employment
How has the Skills Bootcamp been designed/created with employer input?
We’ve worked with our established employer partnership comprising individual businesses and representative bodies such as the Chambers of Commerce, to ensure this course meets the needs of a broad range of SMEs and larger employers. Our content has been validated with a subset of employers prior to delivery to ensure alignment with skills demand.
How are employers involved in the delivery of this Skills Bootcamp?
Employers were involved in an initial consultation on the design and content of this course and feature throughout a number of weeks of teaching. Employers have provided assistance with mock interviews, employer networking events, employer involvement in project assessment, and 1-2-1 employer mentoring to achieve an employment outcome.
What are the routes to employment following successful completion?
Throughout the Skills Bootcamp, you’ll develop your employability and soft skills based on proven methods for CV writing, interview techniques and personal statement creation. You’ll also gain knowledge of techniques in confidence, resiliency, communication and problem-solving.
In addition to traditional classroom-based learning delivery, you’ll be provided with opportunities for these skills to be practised and displayed throughout. We encourage mentorship through college and university alumni and staff.