/Skills Bootcamp in Web Development - May 2023
Provided by: Bath Spa University
Course Area: All areas
Course Type: Short Course
Start date: 15/05/2023
End date: 04/08/2023
Course length: 12 weeks
Subjects: Web development
Who is this course for
The single biggest thing we’re looking for is for you to possess an interest in web development and to be looking for a career that will utilise the skills from this bootcamp. While some previous knowledge is desirable, the most important factor is a positive mindset.
The delivery model is entirely online and provides the opportunity for participants to combine learning with other life commitments. In addition to classroom-based learning, students will also be provided with opportunities to practice and demonstrate their skills throughout.
Students are expected to spend a number of hours outside of teaching on independent study to support their learning. You will be supported by lecturers during independent study with the provision of drop in sessions.
- Live in the UK
- Be aged 19+
- Have the right to live and work in the UK
- Agree to provide mandatory personal data and supplementary information on your employment outcomes for up to eight months following completion of the Skills bootcamp
- Be looking for a new role, new opportunities or increased responsibility/promotion to a different role that utilises the skills acquired through this online short course
- Not have completed a Skills Bootcamp funded by the Depaetment of Education (DfE) in the last 12 months.
What will I learn
Please note that the course structure is subject to change based on the needs of each cohort.
Week 1: Static HTML
- Building a page in HTML and semantic HTML
- Styling and positioning elements with CSS
Week 2: Responsive design and Git Media queries
- CSS Grid
- uGit and Githb
- The script tag, the console and console.log.
- Data types (string, number, boolean, array, object)
- Variables (var/let/const)
Week 4: Dom manipulation, validation and event handlers
- Introduction to the Document Object Model (DOM)
- DOM manipulation
- Event handlers
- Validating forms
Week 5: CSS Tooling
- Using CSS libraries
- CSS Pre-processors
Week 6: Portfolio build
- Build a responsive portfolio site for your projects on github.
- During this module there will be time for 1:1s, pair-working, and meeting guest developers.
Week 7: How to use APIs
- Explaining HTTP and how the Internet works
- What is a “stack”?
- What is an API?
- How to call APIs using fetch
- Working with JSON
Week 8: Browser APIs, NPM, and Intro to Single Page Apps
- Browser APIs (e.g. geolocation, fullscreen)
- Async/await and promises
- What are SPAs?
- What is JAMstack?
- Introduction to React (theory)
Week 9: React: Functional components and basic hooks
- Functional components
- props, children
- Basic hooks: useState, useEffect
- Context API (stretch goal)
Week 10: React: Routing, useReducer, and legacy React
- Advanced hooks: useReducer
- Overview of class components and component lifecycle (theory)
Week 11: Project week
- Build team projects using all the skills covered in the course so far.
- During this module there will be time for 1:1s and working in pairs
Week 12: Preparing for the tech industry
- Project and portfolio showcase
- Preparing for technical tests
You will also cover mixed content about the tech industry such as:
- tech culture and events
- how to transition from frontend or web development to other kinds of development
- what are programming paradigms, and when will you need to know one?
Creating pathways to employment
How has the Skills Bootcamp been designed/created with employer input?
We have employers who we work with for Web Development, their input has been designed into the course. The employers include Transform Digital and Modular Digital.
How are employers involved in the delivery of this Skills Bootcamp?
Modular Digital have supported us in the creation of design briefs for the students to tackle over the 12 weeks. They are able to share some insights into what working for a small agency looks like, along with some guidance on interviews and providing a wider view of the sector.
Transform Digital is a design and digital marketing consultancy with creativity at their core. They will be hosting webinars on designing for accessibility, website design and build and SEO, as well as running student interviews.
What are the routes to employment following successful completion?
Students that have completed our Skills Bootcamp in Web Development have secured roles as:
- Software Developers
- Junior Web Developers
- Content Creators