/Skills Bootcamp in Cyber Security - May 2023
Provided by: Bath Spa University
Course Area: All areas
Course Type: Short Course
Start date: 04/05/2023
End date: 21/07/2023
Course length: 12 weeks
Subjects: Cyber security, User experience design, User interface design, Web development
Delivery Method: Online
Skills Bootcamp overview
Whether you’re looking to start a new career or upskilling for new opportunities within your current role, our free intensive Skills Bootcamp in Cyber Security will take your online security to another level.
No matter how big or small a company is, they’ll be a target for cyber criminals. On this short course you’ll gain a firm foundation of knowledge on how to deal with those threats. You’ll also learn employability skills which will improve your CV and make you stand out to employers.
Over the 12 weeks you’ll learn how to design and implement security measures and policies essential for protecting businesses, individuals and critical infrastructure from cyber attacks.
As cyber attacks continue to evolve and become more sophisticated, you’ll learn to adapt and expand your analytical mindset and problem solving skills to enable you to provide more secure and resilient solutions. You’ll also break down the anatomy of cyber incidents and analyse each incident in detail.
Who is this course for
The bootcamp is for learners age 19+ who want a career in technology, specifically the cyber security industry. Student should have an interest in cyber security
While some previous knowledge is desirable, the most important factor is a positive mindset, desire and commitment.
The delivery model is entirely online and provides the opportunity for participants to combine learning with other life commitments. In addition to classroom-based learning, students will also be provided with opportunities to practise and demonstrate their skills throughout.
Students are expected to spend a number of hours outside of teaching on independent study to support their learning. You will be supported by lecturers during independent study with the provision of drop in sessions.
All students must:
- Have lived in the UK for at least 3 years
- Currently live in England
- Be aged 19+
- Have a UK Passport
- Agree to provide mandatory personal data and supplementary information on your employment outcomes for up to eight months following completion of the skills bootcamp.
- Be looking for a new role, new opportunities or increased responsibility/promotion to a different role that utilises the skills acquired through this online short course
- Not have completed a skills bootcamp funded by the Department for Education (DfE) in the last 12 months
What will I learn
Over the 12 weeks you’ll learn about:
- The Lockheed Martin cyber attack chain
- Attack hosts, attack vectors and malware
- The Cyber Security toolkit: audit software and hardware, updates and patches, encryption, securing the business website, reducing threat from phishing and malware
- Computing forensics and Internet forensics: browser history capture, volatile memory analysis, search strategies, stenography, documenting and reporting cyber-crime, legal and ethical frameworks
- Pentesting: Kali Linux, ethical hacking tool kits
- Enterprise security architecture: Administration, network security, application security, endpoint/server and device security, identity, authentication and access management
- Data protection and cryptography, industry standard tools and methods
- Monitoring vulnerability and patch management
- Incident response: confirm incident, investigation, evidence collection, report, contain, mediate compromised systems/accounts
- Risk management: cyber security frameworks, mapping against external frameworks, security controls, auditing, deficiency tracking and management
- Mitigation of social engineering and insider threat
- Threat intelligence and security monitoring
- Data Protection Act, GDPR, Cyber Essentials, compliance
- Brand reputation and management
Creating pathways to employment
How has the Skills Bootcamp been designed/created with employer input?
Our lecturers have industry knowledge and contacts within cyber security.
How are employers involved in the delivery of this Skills Bootcamp?
Our lecturers often invite employers to do talks, subject to their availability.
What are the routes to employment following successful completion?
After completing the Skills Bootcamp in Cyber Security you’ll possess the skills needed to pursue a career as a:
- Junior Security Analyst
- Entry level IT/Cyber Incident Responder
You’ll have a strong foundation of cyber security knowledge after completing the course which allows you to undertake a level three or four cyber security apprenticeship.