/Skills Bootcamp in Creative Computing - May 2023
Provided by: Bath Spa University
Course Area: South West
Course Type: Short Course
Start date: 15/05/2023
End date: 04/08/2023
Course length: 12 weeks
Subjects: User experience design, User interface design, Web development
Who is this course for
You should have aspirations for a career in the creative industries using digital technology. You may be interested in web design, UX/UI design, agile project management and/or app development. While some previous knowledge is desirable, the most important factor is a positive mindset, desire and commitment. You must be looking for a career that will utilise the skills from this bootcamp
- Be aged 19+
- Have the right to work in the UK
- Agree to provide mandatory personal data and supplementary information on your employment outcomes for up to eight months following completion of the Skills bootcamp
- Be looking for a new job role related to creative computing/web development/UX and UI design, or increased responsibility/promotion to a different role that utilises the skills acquired through this short course.
- Live in the South West region (includes Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Bristol, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Dorset)
- Not have completed a Skills Bootcamp funded by the Department for Education (DfE) in the last 12 months
What will I learn
You’ll learn about:
- An introduction to design thinking
- Agile project management techniques, such as sprint methodology
- Ideation and creative problem solving
- Digital identity and storytelling
- Coding tools for web development and app development
- User experience (UX) design
- How to use prototyping tools
- Personal and professional skills, including presentations and pitching
- Employment support including techniques for job applications and mock interviews.
Upon completion of this Skills Bootcamp, you’ll be able to:
- Apply computing to creativity in spheres such as the arts, entertainment and games, mobile applications, multimedia, web design and other interactive systems
- Demonstrate experience of project work and application of creative computing to solving creative industry challenges or requirements
- Understand practices of digital identity and storytelling with the use of images and motion
- Apply concepts to web and app experience design
- Write compelling job applications, get an interview and recognise different interview styles
- Demonstrate improvement in personal or soft skills through individual and group exercise work
- Achieve an employment outcome in a creative field such as a junior UI/UX designer or junior web developer.
Creating pathways to employment
How has the Skills Bootcamp been designed/created with employer input?
We have employers who we work with for Creative Computing, their input has been designed into the course. The employers include Transform Digital, Modular Digital, Unite Students.
How are employers involved in the delivery of this Skills Bootcamp?
We worked with Unite Students not only on supporting the students with a mock interview space but also to develop in person interactive UX workshops. These workshops give the students a space to apply the skills they’re learning on the bootcamp. These opportunities have also allowed students to interact with their peers through discussion, debate and creative collaboration.
Modular Digital have supported us in the creation of design briefs for the students to tackle over the 12 weeks. They are able to share some insights into what working for a small agency looks like, along with some guidance on interviews and providing a wider view of the sector.
Transform Digital is a design and digital marketing consultancy with creativity at their core. They will be hosting webinars on designing for accessibility, website design and build and SEO, as well as running student interviews.
What are the routes to employment following successful completion?
Students that have completed our Skills Bootcamp in Creative Computing have secured roles as:
- Software Developers
- Junior UX Designers
- Games User Testers
- Content Creators