/Skills Bootcamp in Web Development Skills - October 2021 (Closed)
Provided by: Bath Spa University
Course Area: South West
Course Type: Short Course
Start date: 18/10/2021
End date: 21/01/2022
Course length: 12 weeks
Subjects: User experience design, Web development
Delivery Method: Face to face
Skills Bootcamp overview
All technical content is complemented with personal and professional skills provision plus employment support including techniques for job applications, mock interviews, and employer networking events. In addition to highly experienced lecturers, the Skills Bootcamp will also feature guest speakers, group exercises, and a blended delivery model to provide maximum flexibility for other commitments.
In addition to theoretical practice, the course will be hands-on and includes project work, based on real scenarios that form part of the assessment process.
This Skills Bootcamp is for adults requiring new and additional skills to embark on a career in web development.
Who is this Skills Bootcamp for
This Skills Bootcamp is for adults impacted by the pandemic, seeking to up-skill and re-skill, leading to a career in digital technology. The specific focus of this course is website development which consistently features as being an in-demand skillset from employers both large and small.
The delivery model is blended between online and face-to-face (F2F), to provide maximum flexibility and opportunity for participants to combine learning with other life commitments. Due to the intense nature of a 12-week Skills Bootcamp, plus the necessity to deliver a lot of the employability skills and practice of interviews in-person, there is a requirement for F2F delivery. However, this will be provided at times to minimise disruption to things like school runs. Content will also be delivered online each day to maximise this flexibility. It should also be noted the course is designed to be fully online should there be a requirement to adjust due to further lockdown restrictions.
- Be aged 19+
- Have the right to live and work in the UK
- Agree to provide mandatory personal data and supplementary information on their employment outcomes for up to 8 months following completion of the Skills Bootcamp
- Be looking for a new role, new opportunities or increased responsibility/promotion to a different role which utilises the skills acquired through their Skills Bootcamp
- employed/self-employed, or
- career changers/returners/redeployed, or
- unemployed within the last 12 months
Employers will be able to send existing employees who meet the Skills Bootcamp eligibility requirements on this training at an impressive 70% discount. Interested employers should contact the individual Skills Bootcamp provider.
All applicants should have aspirations for a career in web development with an interest in this subject area. The primary determining factor for acceptance onto this programme is desire and commitment, and while some previous knowledge is desirable, the most important factor is this positive mindset as without this it will be difficult to sustain the intensity required for successful completion.
What will I learn
- Introduction to websites including how they work and frameworks for use
- How to plan and design websites including user experience concepts
You’ll also learn about:
- External API’s
- Version Control & Testing
- Managing Data
- Search Engine Optimisation
- Professional developer best practices
- Technologies and creative strategies for tomorrow’s web
Upon completion of this Skills Bootcamp, learners will be able to:
- Understand the key aspects of web development and web & mobile applications.
- Build websites and applications including principles and practice of user experience.
- Understand the practice of search engine optimisation, version control, testing, and managing data.
- Succeed with job applications – getting an interview and recognising different interview styles.
- Demonstrate an improvement in personal or soft skills through individual and group exercise work.
- Achieve an employment outcome in web development.
Creating pathways to employment
How has the Skills Bootcamp been designed/created with employer input?
We have worked with our established employer partnership comprising of individual businesses and representative bodies like the Chambers of Commerce, to ensure this Skills Bootcamp meets the needs of a broad range of SME’s and larger employers. Content has been validated with a subset of employers prior to delivery to ensure alignment with skills demand.
How are employers involved in the delivery of this Skills Bootcamp?
Employers feature through Weeks 4, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 12 as were involved in an initial consultation on the design and content of this course. Employers have provided assistance with mock interviews, employer networking events, employer involvement in project assessment, and the provision of 1-2-1 employer mentoring to achieve employment outcomes.
What are the routes to employment following successful completion?
Bath Spa University and Bath College will provide employability and soft skills content running throughout the Skills Bootcamp. We are running a current employability programme called RESTART aimed at getting adults impacted by the pandemic back into work. This course uses the same proven content for CV writing, interview techniques and personal statement creation. This Skills Bootcamp also provides techniques in confidence, resiliency, communication, and problem-solving techniques. In addition to traditional classroom-based learning delivery, the Skills Bootcamps will provide opportunities for these skills to be practiced and displayed throughout. We will encourage mentorship via alumni and for the first Skills Bootcamp via extended college and university staff.