/Food Science and Nutrition: From the Farm to You
Provided by: University of Leeds
Course Area: All areas
Course Type: Short Course
Start date: 20200928
Subjects: Digital Education, Product Design, Web Applications
Who is this course for
The course is designed for anyone interested in exploring food’s journey from the farm all the way to what happens inside our bodies.
It will be particularly useful for students who want to study food science or nutrition at university.
The course is part of the Going to University collection and completing it can help improve your university application by broadening your understanding of food science and nutrition and developing your independent learning skills.
The course can also be used as a teachers’ classroom enrichment resource.
The material could also be included in biology, chemistry, physics, or engineering classes.
What will I learn
- The opportunities and challenges inherent in the modern food supply chain – from farm to fork.
- The importance of food processing and novel food processing techniques, such as 3D printing.
- How food molecules perform different important functions in your body.
- How new food products are developed and optimised to appeal to the target consumer base.
- The importance of nutrition and the impact of different public health initiatives from around the world.
- The health benefits of certain foods.
- The process of digestion and biochemical pathways of food in the body.