/Introduction to Indie Games
Provided by: UAL
Course Area: All areas
Course Type: Short Course
Start date: Anytime
Subjects: Creative Technology, Product Design, Video Games Development
Delivery Method: Online
The video games sector is booming, employing more than 16,000 people in the UK. Moreover, 99.5% of all UK games companies are small and medium-sized independent enterprises.
On this course, you will explore the thriving independent games sector. You’ll examine its cultural and economic importance, meeting and learning from the creators and teams who make the games you love.
You will develop an understanding of what indie games are, how they’re made, the skills required to work in the industry, and how you can go about developing these skills in order to launch your own career in the sector.
This course is hosted by FutureLearn. It can be started at any time after the advertised date and is available now.
Who is this course for
This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about the independent games industry, whether you’re a gamer, or someone looking for a career in the sector. You might also be interested in the other courses in the Essential Creative Technologies collection from UAL Creative Computing Institute, Lancaster University and the Institute of Coding.
What will I learn
Week one – Exploring Indie Games and the industry
- Games studios and independent design: These steps explore the culture of independent games and look at the rise of gamification and game culture in wider society.
- Why do independent games matter? In these steps, we will meet game makers, and explore the issues that drive them.
Week two – Developing the skills and knowledge for a future in games
- Indie games and pitching ideas: Indie games often distinguish themselves by reflecting life and culture. In these steps we will look at games that do this and also explore what it takes to build a pitch for a game.
- Understanding roles and skills: We explore some of the disciplines and skills needed for working in the indie games sector.
- Facing the future and new ideas: How might the industry evolve? Where is the gaming industry headed and what can we expect to see in the future? In these steps, you will also get a chance to develop an idea of your own.
Visit this course