/EngD in Data-Centric Engineering
Provided by: Queen Mary University of London
Course Area: London
Course Type: PhD
Start date: 20210901
Subjects: Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, Engineering
Delivery Method: Face to face
The emerging field of Data-Centric Engineering sits at the interface of data science and engineering, combining mathematical modelling with the latest advances in big data and AI. Our Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Data Centric Engineering aims to expand the number of scientists and engineers with data-science and engineering research skills in the UK economy to meet growing demand.
By adopting a novel recruitment, selection and training process, the CDT will widen access routes and increase the diversity of our doctoral scholars in line with Queen Mary’s ambition to become the most inclusive research-intensive university in the world.
- Four year full-time programme leading to an Engineering Doctorate (EngD) in Data-Centric Engineering
- £20,500 stipend funding per year, tax free (equivalent to £25,000 gross salary)
- Tuition fees fully covered
- Bespoke training, research and development opportunities delivered both online and in person
The programme is designed to support those who have been out of education for more than 3 years or those who have not completed a degree to access training and support to complete a doctorate in the field of Data-Centric Engineering. A masters or undergraduate degree are not a requirement of entry.
Who is this course for
Our programme is designed for, and aimed at, those who:
- Have been out of formal education for at least three years (i.e. latest degree – if any – awarded before September 2018).
- Have at least 3 years’ work experience (or equivalent) in a related field, preferably UK-based, and plan to develop their career with a UK employer.
- Have faced barriers to accessing education, e.g. financial barriers, perceived lack of alignment between education and professional development needs, lack of flexibility around work and/or family commitments
- Are looking for a professional development opportunity which will not put their career or life on hold.
We particularly welcome applicants who:
- have taken a career break
- are currently underrepresented in the field and in doctoral-level study
- have not until now considered a pursuing a Doctorate.
What will I learn
Data-Centric Engineering sits at the interface of data science and engineering, combining mathematical modelling with the latest advances in big data and AI.
Data-Centric Engineering has become a globally recognised academic discipline due to its establishment as a strategic research theme of the Alan Turing Institute, the UK’s Institute for Data Science and AI.
Our Centre for Doctoral Training shares the Turing Institute’s vision of Data-Centric Engineering. Our doctoral programme aims to equip cohorts of engineers with the research and data skills required to address the data-centric engineering needs of society and industry.Visit this course