Provided by: Open University
Course Area: All areas
Course Code: TG088
Course Type: Short Course
Start date: 20211002
End date: 20211231
Who is this course for
This course is for anyone who wants to gain experience in using the Linux operating system. You may be someone who needs to use Linux as part of their job role or you may be someone who wants to learn more about this free operating system. This course is suitable if you already have some technical experience with computing technology. It is aimed at a Linux novice, it isn’t aimed at someone with no prior experience of computing.
This course is not suitable for someone who is a beginner in computing or has only gained experience by using specific computer applications.
What will I learn
After completing this course you should be able to:
- understand the nature of FOSS, the various communities, and licenses within the Linux domain.
- demonstrate a knowledge of open source applications in the workplace as they relate to closed source equivalents.
- describe basic concepts of hardware, processes, programs and the components of the Linux Operating System.
- implement the Linux command line and manage different files.
- create and restore compressed backups and archives.
- apply Linux based system security, users/groups and file permissions for public and private directories.
- create and run simple scripts.