/MSc Scientific Computing and Data Analysis (MISCADA)
Provided by: Durham University
Course Area: North East
Course Code: G5K609
Course Type: Masters (taught)
Start date: 20211005
End date: 20220731
Subjects: Computer Science, Data Analytics, Data Science
Who is this course for
We strongly encourage students to sign up for a specialisation area they already have some background of affinity. At the moment, the course targets primarily Physics students. If you do not have a Physics degree, we strongly recommend you to contact the University beforehand to clarify whether you bring along the right background.
Programming knowledge on a L3 level in at least one programming language and commitment to learning C and Python independently if not known before.
Interest in Computational Physics or its Data Analysis. The course tackles computational and data analysis challenges from this area.
What will I learn
The course is structured into five modules spanning three terms and it is offered “with a specialisation in astrophysics” or “with a specialisation in particle physics”.
The course is designed such that:
- you will obtain a solid baseline in methodological skills
- you can either put emphasis on data analysis or scientific computing
- you will do a challenging project either within the methodological academic departments (Mathematical Sciences or Computing Science), or within the specialisation area, or in close cooperation with our industrial partners
- you will acquire important professional skills spanning collaboration and project management, presentation and outreach as well we entrepreneurial thinking
- you will study selected topics from your specialisation area with a strong emphasis on computational and data challenges.