/Computer Science BSc / MSci (Hons)
Provided by: Coventry University
Course Area: West Midlands
Course Code: G400
Course Type: Degree (Honours)
Start date: 20200914
Subjects: Computer Science
Who is this course for
If you are interested in how computers work and are designed, this course, upon successful completion, should enable you to progress from your undergraduate degree to a master’s level qualification.
What will I learn
- Programming: The underlying concepts and algorithms, which should enable you to apply the programming techniques that are appropriate for the problem encountered. You should have opportunity to develop core skills in programming by learning and applying syntax, problem-solving strategies, and theory common to most programming languages. We also examine professional practices associated with the industry, including key software development concepts such as testing code, version control, functional decomposition and event driven programming, as well as how to interact with non-technical users and clients.
- Computer Architecture, Networking and Operating Systems: We investigate and analyse the origin, structure and use of the fundamental components of computers, how they represent data, operating systems (OS) used and networking approaches. We will explore basic OS concepts, such as processes, memory management, drivers and file systems. We also explore the main features of Linux, Windows, UNIX and Mac OSI, among others.
- Database Systems, Data and Information Retrieval: Exploring how to identify the database approach that best reflects the application and the use of a variety of data analytic approaches.
- Software System Modelling and Project Management: A practical guide to the software development processes will be offered with associated tools and techniques for modelling and project management. We consider modern iterative process models using Agile and object-oriented (OO) modelling methods and tools, including techniques for requirements engineering and analysis, architectural design and detailed software design with patterns, completed with implementation, testing and integration.
- Latest Computing-related Technologies and Development: We explore the latest technologies and development in the areas of web technologies, mobile apps, AI, concurrent and real time systems, and contribute to the open source community through the development of software and the production of large scale complex software.